Monday, September 12, 2016

Love One

The 2016 US Open Tennis Championships were, as usual, filled with surprises, upsets, winners and losers, joy and despair, great moments and small.

Y'know - Life!

I was fortunate to travel to New York City to attend a day at the Billie Jean King Tennis Center and to sit in Arthur Ashe Stadium, watching a Scot named Andy play the quarter finals.



But as I travelled 40,000 feet above the ground back to Oregon from the Big Apple - I wasn't thinking about Billie Jean, Arthur or Andy Murray. I was thinking about another Scot... Isabel Mary MacKenzie.

My mother.

To my knowledge, my mother was not a very athletic person. She was a cultured woman. She knew The Messiah by heart, loved classical music, played the piano, read great books, wrote with impeccable grammar, enjoyed art, had a beautiful voice and was a polished host.

But sports? - as a twelve year old I just didn't see it.

Then one day I learned that the parks department was offering free tennis lessons. All you needed was a racquet... everything else was supplied no charge. I asked if we might be able to afford a racquet... my mother replied, beaming, "You can have mine."

I was flabbergasted. "You have a racquet?"

And then there it was, neatly fixed into a press... a beautiful varnished racquet... just one problem. It had a wicked curve on it, much like the way a hockey stick blade was curved in the 1960's.



But for me... it was amazing... and mine.

I learned to play with that racquet, how to replace broken strings myself and I won my fair share of junior matches and a high school championship along the way.

I learned how to keep score. What deuce meant - that the game was scored love, fifteen, thirty, forty, game. That a Set was first to six games, win by two. That a Match was two of three sets.

I learned that you respected your opponent, never cheated on line calls, never used bad language on the court and shook hands win or lose... and that you meant it.

But I learned something else along the way, something more meaningful, something that stays with me today.

I learned that you could start with a twisted, hand-me-down racquet - you could win tournaments and lose them - you could even attend the Canadian Open and watch Borg and Chrissie, the US Open and see Connors and Martina or Wimbledon to enjoy Sampras and Steffi.

But those tennis life lessons really started with a mother who not only loved me, protected me, taught me - all the while encouraging me to live my own life. She once wrote to me "Be yourself - but be your best self."

I learned that keeping score is a good thing - particularly if you remember to start with-

Love - One.


"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back into the same box."


6 comments:

  1. I loved your thoughts and tribute to your mom Michael. You could start an entire movement with that thought! If I would have known of your tennis accomplishments, I would have been more nervous when we played! All the best, keep writing, you may have inspired me to do the same. I'm sure there was quite a bit of emotion rushing back to your brain as you thought about her. you my friend are a good one! And very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. And while I have figured out who you are... I will hold the confidence. Gotta love White Oaks baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Cooperation is the firm belief that nobody gets there, unless everybody gets there." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael,
    I'm glad I've read your story and particularly as it relates to your mother. You made me think of my mom and it sounds like we had a similar background. Our mom's would have done anything for our happiness. I think both you and I describe happiness on how many folks we can help in our lives. We had great moms:) who taught us well and gifted us with very
    positive outlooks on life! Cheers to your mom and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I just realized as I was about to post this on FaceBook that I didn't reply to your kind note. I wish I could say I spent my life being happiest when I helped people. Not sure in my first forty yers that was a prime objective. Now that I am in my final quarter on the planet, I'm making up for lost time. You are a great mentor!

      Delete
  5. thank you this post is very informative.
    tennis strings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for helping write tThe Wright Stuff.