Sunday, March 18, 2012

Madness Reigns

Every year during March Madness, fans scrutinize the teams records and fill in their brackets to predict the outcome of The Big Dance. I always try and find a dark horse that will differentiate my picks from others in my group.

But it's not just to win the pool (although bragging rights for twelve months are attractive), it's because inherently I (and I suspect many fans) love an underdog. We love David knocking off Goliath... the Little Engine That Could... so to speak.

For me, it's because I always expect to win, even against long odds, or uphill into the wind. And since I believe sport serves society by providing vivid examples of excellence, I need David to knock off Goliath sometimes.

That way we all can tilt against windmills with a little more confidence, knowing that once in a while... Madness Reigns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for helping write tThe Wright Stuff.